This Saturday you will take on 9 sets of heavy overhead squats (3-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1). The strength in this movement is significantly limited by the athlete’s flexibility and technical capability. We will spend some time doing extra sets at light loading to work on the full range of motion, while your arms are locked overhead.
Start your set of 3 at around 75% of your 1RPM and gradually add weight if you are stable and comfortable at the bottom of your squat. You will rest at least 3 minutes between sets. If you don’t feel you need that rest, it means you are not lifting heavy enough. We will be sharing bars. Partner with someone with a similar height (and relative strength if possible).
For those of you on zoom, you can overhead squat using one or two dumbbells or using an odd object, and you can increase the reps to make it a good workout.
See you all on the zoom, in group classes or in the open gym.
Partner Rowing Warm up
- Teams of Two: Athletes alternate work and rest.
- Teams of Three: One athlete rows, one athlete rests, one athlete holds a plank.
On a 5 min clock:
- Partner A: Rows to 100m. For every meter Partner A rows under or over 100m, they must perform 2x that many reps of plate overhead lunges.
- Partner B: As soon as Partner A gets off the rower, Partner B starts on their own 100m row
- Snatch drop sequence
- Overhead Squat
- Overhead squat 3-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1 reps